Home safety checklist
Use this checklist to make sure your loved one’s home doesn’t pose health or safety hazards.
- Find someone to check on your loved one daily.
- Schedule a vision check.
- Discuss medications with your loved one’s physician to determine effects on balance.
- Establish a light exercise routine.
- No loose carpeting or rugs without nonslip backing.
- Traffic areas free of furniture.
- Electrical cords and other wires taped against walls.
- Bright lighting with switches and functioning bulbs.
- Telephones placed at height that can be reached from the floor.
Stairs and Inclines
- Keep free of items.
- Plenty of room to move at top and bottom.
- No loose carpeting or edges to catch on.
- Handrails securely attached and at proper height for user.
- Proper lighting on all steps, switches at top and bottom of stairs.
- Grab bars near tub, shower, and toilet located and mounted properly.
- Nonslip surfaces in tub or shower.
- Night light.
- Rugs or bathmats with nonslip backing on floor.
- Shower/tub bench or seat.
- Bedside table with non-tip lamp and room for eyeglasses.
- Clear traffic area from bedroom to bathroom.
- Comfortable, sturdy chair to aid in dressing.
- Items placed where they can be reached without use of stool.
- Area to sit during food preparation.
- Flooring free of cracks, splits, or up-turned edges.